This event was in the past. For current and future events visit our What's On Page.
Friday 15 November 2019 11.00am
Silverfit Silver Fridays Fun and Fitness Session
Age 45 and over
- Whether you have never exercised before or are a seasoned pro. Meet new friends and get healthy doing it!
- - 11.00 am - Meet at Cyril Smith Court
- - 11.30 am - Activities
- - 12.30 pm - Tea & coffee back at Cyril Smith Court
All fitness levels catered for
- Latin American dance lessons (for beginners) - no partner needed
- Nordic Walking - poles provided
- Tai Chi/Qi Gong
First session free
Silverfit indoor activities are suspended because of the Covid-19 virus, but outdoor Nordic Walking is continuing – subject to our instructors availability.
We will meet outside the venue entrance 5-10 minutes before the walk start time and will not provide our usual tea/coffee at the start and end of the walk. We will be disinfecting walking poles at the end of each session, but if you have your own poles, please bring these with you.
Please read the important information at the bottom of this page and check the latest update on www.silverfit.org.uk/nordic-walking-sessions.
The fitness and health benefits of Nordic Walking are significantly greater than regular walking, trekking or even jogging, with scientific research from Europe and the USA proving that Nordic Walking:
- Activates 90% of the body's muscles
- Burns up to 46% more calories than regular walking
- Increases aerobic effect by up to 25% compared to regular walking
- Decreases load and strain on the lower body
- Tones upper arms, shoulders and back muscles
- Improves lateral mobility of the spine
- Develops core stability and strength
- Promotes an upright posture
These benefits are achieved through the use of specially designed poles and a properly learned and performed Nordic Walking technique, whereby the poles are used as a resistance tool to engage the upper body. The result is a low impact, high results, total body exercise.
As a low impact walking exercise, Nordic Walking is something that can be done and enjoyed individually or as a group activity, anywhere a person can normally walk.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION: CORONAVIRUS
In the light of recent Government updates concerning Coronavirus (COVID-19 www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-information-for-the-public) in the UK, if you plan to attend a Nordic walking session, in line with Government advice, we ask that you each contribute to a lower risk of infection by adhering to the following:
Please do not attend a Silverfit session if you:
- Experience *any* of the symptoms of COVID-19 virus, however mild.
- Specifically, please do not attend if you have either or both of the following symptoms:
◦ A fever - feeling hot on your back and/or chest and having a temperature of 37.8 degrees C (100 degrees F)
◦ A new and persistent cough
Note: this does not necessarily mean that you have the COVID-19 virus.
However, if you do experience either of these symptoms, please follow Government guidance and self-isolate in your home for 7-days. Details of how to do this, here:
If your symptoms worsen during home isolation or are no better after 7 days, contact NHS 111 online. If you have no internet access, phone NHS 111. For a medical emergency dial 999
- Have been in close contact with anyone diagnosed with COVID-19 during the 14 days before the session.
- Always wash your hands before eating or drinking. We encourage you to use your own gel
- sanitisers before and after each of session, if you are unable to wash your hands.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue if you sneeze or cough. Bin tissues immediately after use. Further information is available here: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/
PGC cannot guarantee that all What's On information is 100% accurate. If in doubt, we recommend you contact the organisers or visit their website using the More Details button.